On this page I have included a list of changes and improvements I have made to my Travel Trailer – a 2018 Coachmen 17BHS Viking RV. With a family of 5 and a dog, it is used for camping all across Alberta and British Columbia.
As with most RV trailers, nothing is perfect until you make it so. In the case of this particular trailer, that includes practical storage solutions. Luckily there are many ideas on the Internet on how to maximize your storage in an RV.
However, the biggest challenge that I have with this model of RV is its very limited cargo weight; a whopping 360 lbs, due to its low GVWR of 3725 lbs. Many of the modifications I made to my trailer are related to working around this limitation. Later models have a higher GVWR and therefore are not as limited in the amount of cargo they can carry.
For reference, below is the floor plan of the Viking 17BHS (Clipper 17BHS is the exact same, just a different name).
- #1: Replacing the Master Bed
- #2: Removing the Microwave
- #3: Replacing Dinette Bench Seats
- #4: Improving Access to Water Heater
- #5: Building Dinette Drawers
- #6: Installing 12V and 5V USB Outlets
- #7: Replacing the Dinette Table
- #8: Installing Black-Out Curtains and Blinds
- #9: Battery Monitor
- #10: Reducing Battery Weight
- #11: Water Dripping from Shower Wall Corner
Some other topics: